Wednesday, September 27, 2006

 
Blessed are you when you are persecuted in His name
I feel doubly blessed tonight. Not only has my Christianity made me a target for criticism among liberal Quakers -- but now my Quakerism has made me a target of criticism among those who call themselves Christians. Through a search tool fond here on blogger, I sought out Quaker blogs -- and found a discussion thread at the forum at Christianity.com. To my dismay, the thread was dominated by a pack of individuals whose sole purpose seemed to be denying that Quakers were Christians!I could site as much scripture as I wanted showing that yes, Fox's description of the Light of Christ in each person is scriptural, as is direct communion with the Lord. Truly, we can claim to accept Christ all we want, but if we are ignorant of Him in our hearts, are we really Christians? If we continue to live lives characterized by sin and cynicism, are we Christians? From Jeremiah to John the Baptist to Christ, those who sought to bring man into union with God have been chastised by those who honor the doctrines of man over the Word of God!

Comments:
Charles,
I read a good bit of that discussion and it was indeed difficult to read. At least you won't be thrown in prison for declaring the Truth as George Fox and other early Friends were.

One phrase that stuck with me from that discussion is the reference to the bible as "rock solid". If it is so rock solid, declaring the Truth for all to see, why are there so many different denominations? Why are there pentecostals and dispensationalists, pre-millenialist/postmillienialist/amillenitlists?
One would think that if it were the ultimate ground of Truth, it wouldn't be so hard to agree on what it says.

In a way, though, I can sort of agree with the premise of the discussion. Quakerism does not completely agree with orthodox Christianity, but I think you and I would probably agree that it more closely fits early Christianity.

I sometimes wonder if discussions like that one can be fruitful online. I wonder if one actually needs to be physically present to "declare the word of the Lord". I don't know. I guess the best thing we can do is to make sure that what we speak is inwardly from God. I pray that you are not discouraged by that discussion.

With love,
Mark
 
Mark --

Thank you for your ministry here.

~ Charles Rathmann
 
Charles,

I have found that I am often in the same boat as yourself. I have had trouble being accepted by both liberal Friends and participants in steeplehouse religion.

Perhaps when we actually follow the Lamb, we are opening ourselves up to persecution and rejection. But thank God for fellow believers who walk the same path and seek to serve our Lord in all that they do.

God's peace!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?